Mitchells of Horley was founded in 1900 by Mr E E Mitchell and traded from a yard in Lumley Road in Horley under the name of E E Mitchell for 72 years. His two nephews, Reg and Bert Mitchell and niece’s husband, Jack Hunt worked for the Company before they took over the running of the business on the death of Mr Mitchell in 1935. Reg died in 1962 and Bert retired in 1967. In 1972 the Company became Limited with its directors being Jack Hunt and his son Howard. The offices were moved to a builders yard it had owned for 35 years in Massetts Road, Horley. In 1976 Howards eldest son, John joined the business as a trainee estimator. Jack died in 1979 and Howard took over the running of the Company. In 1993 Howard and John saw an opportunity to open trade and DIY sales counter, selling many of the materials that Mitchells of Horley Ltd were using whilst carrying out their contract work. This started in a very small way with one man on the counter. The retail side has now grown into the operation it is today at Mitchells Building Centre with a dedicated delivery driver and lorry and a very experienced team of sales staff. Due to the growth of the Company, in 2004, Mitchells of Horley Ltd and Mitchells Building Centre moved to its present site in Station Road, Horley where it has considerable undercover storage space, offices and ample car parking.
In 2010 John Hunt took over and is currently the Company Director.